Current situation in Ericeira and Portugal with the coronavirus
Latest update: July 11th, 2021
If you’ve booked a holiday to Ericeira in 2021 (or you are planning to) and you are wondering what the situation is like with the coronavirus, this blog is for you. We will tell you what it’s like now in Ericeira, and about the rules and regulations the Portuguese government is implementing to keep everyone safe and healthy.
CURRENT SITUATION IN ERICEIRA
At the moment covid numbers are rising again due to the Delta mutation. Since July 8th these are the new rules and regulations in Ericeira (Mafra municipality):
– Restaurants, bakeries and cafés need to close all days at 22.30h
– Starting Friday 19.00h until Sunday 22.30h you will need to show a negative test or covid certificate to eat and sit inside a restaurant, bakery and café. The test can be a PCR test (no older than 72h), antigen test (no older than 48h) or a quicktest from the pharmacy done at the door of the establishment. To eat on the terrace you don’t need to show a test or certificate.
– Inside restaurants you can be with 4 people per group, outside on the terrace with 6 per group.
– Supermarkets needs to close at 19.00h in the weekend, and at 21.00h during the week.
– You have to stay inside between 23.00h and 05.00h.
Click here to find the official information on the restrictions.
If you don’t wat to go to a restaurant in the weekend, almost all restaurants offer take away. Also, there is an app called ‘Ericeira Eats’ for home delivery.
It’s easy to get a PCR or antigen test in Ericeira, very close to Olá Onda. Send us a message if you are staying with us and have any questions about the situation in Ericeira.
Since April the country slowly opened up again, and since early May everything is open again. Tourists are welcome again with a negative PCR test. However, travelers from countries with more than 500 cases per 100.000 inhabitants need to quarantine for 14 days.
Social distancing is obviously advised everywhere. So it is important to keep a minimum of 1,5-2 meters distance at all times. In all closed public spaces (such as a shop or supermarket) and on busy downtown streets, a face mask is required. Tables in restaurants are separated to comply with the social distancing rules. Inside a restaurant you need to wear a mask, unless you are sitting down at your table. Restaurants need to close at 22.30h.
Disinfection handgel is available at every establisment, also at Olá Onda. Surfing, walking, fishing and sunbathing on the beach is all allowed, but again with social distancing. Between towels of different groups of people there must be 2 meters, between umbrella’s 3 meters. In reality we see everyone is obeying and understanding these rules here in Ericeira, whilst trying to get their business up and running again, or enjoying their free time. Health is taken very seriously by the Portuguese people.
SUMMER IN ERICEIRA?
Just like everywhere, it is very hard to foresee what will happen in the next months. In case you are planning to come to Ericeira this summer, we would like to give you the following advice:
1. Make sure to rent a car. That way you can avoid public transport and taxi’s. Also, you will have the freedom to explore and find a quiet beach where you can distance yourself. The area has so many empty beaches, and we are happy to let our guests know where to find them.
2. Bring a face mask. These are required in all closed-off public spaces such as supermarkets, bakeries, shops and restaurants (unless you are sitting at your table). Make sure to keep this face mask with you at all times, because they don’t make exceptions here in Portugal.
3. Check your government’s travel advice for Portugal before booking. Click here to find the official information on the restrictions. Get in touch with us if you are staying with us and have any questions.
We look forward to welcome you to Olá Onda!
If you have any other questions, or need to know more about our cancellation policy, please don’t hesitate to get in touch!