Latest update: June 28th, 2020
If you’ve booked a holiday to Ericeira in 2020 (or you are planning to) and you are wondering what the situation is like with the coronavirus, this blog is for you. We will tell you what it’s like now in Ericeira, and about the rules and regulations the Portuguese government is implementing to keep everyone safe and healthy.
CORONAVIRUS IN PORTUGAL
Compared to Spain and Italy, Portugal has kept numbers relatively low during the pandemic. So far there have been around 41.000 confirmed cases and 1.561 deaths (click here for up to date numbers). From March 18th to May 3rd Portugal has been in a State of Emergency, and people were only allowed outside for essential reasons. Since then, the country has been in a State Of Calamity. Portugal scores very high on the amount of testing they do, which could be one of the reasons the country did so well during the covid-19 crisis.
LATEST NEWS ON NEW RESTRICTIONS LISBON AREA
Since there has been an increase in the number of covid-19 cases in the Lisbon area, the government has implemented new regulations to stop the number of cases from growing. There have been some illegal parties where a lot of people got infected, so most rules are to prevent these parties from happening again. And that is why some neighborhoods in the outskirts of Lisbon and Sintra will have to remain in the State of Calamity. The Metropolitan Area of Lisbon, which Ericeira is in, will move one step down on the ladder to the State of Contingency. For your holiday in Ericeira you will not be extra affected by these rules, but we will state them here so you are aware:
1. Commercial establishments have to close at 20.00h, except restaurants, supermarkets, gas stations and pharmacies.
2. Service stations can not sell alcohol
3. Maximum of 10 persons per group
CURRENT SITUATION IN ERICEIRA
Next to the newly added rules, social distancing is obviously advised everywhere. So it is important to keep a minimum of 1,5-2 meters distance at all times. In all closed public spaces, such as a shop or supermarket, a face mask is required. The surf schools are up and running again, and restaurants, cafes and terraces are open. Tables are separated to comply with the social distancing rules. Inside a restaurant you need to wear a mask, unless you are sitting down at your table.
Desinfection handgel is available at every establisment, also at Olá Onda. Surfing, walking, fishing and sunbathing on the beach is all allowed, but again with social distancing. Between towels of different groups of people there must be 2 meters, between umbrella’s 3 meters. In reality we see most people are obeying and understanding these rules here in Ericeira, whilst trying to get their business up and running again, or enjoying their free time.
SUMMER IN ERICEIRA?
Just like everywhere, it is very hard to foresee what will happen in the next months. In case you are planning to come to Ericeira this summer, we would like to give you the following advice:
1. Make sure to rent a car. That way you can avoid public transport and taxi’s. Also, you will have the freedom to explore and find a quiet beach where you can distance yourself. The area has so many empty beaches, and we are happy to let our guests know where to find them.
2. Bring a face mask. These are required in all closed-off public spaces such as supermarkets, bakeries, shops and restaurants (unless you are sitting at your table). Make sure to keep this face mask with you at all times, because they don’t make exceptions here in Portugal.
3. Check your government’s travel advice for Portugal before booking.
We look forward to welcome you to Olá Onda!
If you have any other questions, or need to know more about our cancellation/reschedule policy, please don’t hesitate to get in touch!